Funding Foreplay Service
Helping Clients Properly Prepare
for Romancing Investors
One of my unique ways that I help a lot of my clients is though my “Funding Foreplay Service.”
If you intend to raise funds for your startup company, you may find my Funding Foreplay Service to be one of the most helpful, pivotal and beneficial decisions you can make in the long, complex and complicated process of raising investor capital.
For many clients, it has made the difference between success and failure with their preparations for fundraising.
My Funding Foreplay Service is designed to specifically help startup company CEOs be genuinely ready for prime time for their fundraising and to also be properly coached to romance and seduce investors the right way.
All of this usually means that I have to keep many of my clients from screwing up the romance of their business life with some, or all, of these top dirty dozen deficits:
- Bad strategies with incorrect objectives
- Ineffective tactics for execution
- Nonexistent action planning for milestones and resources
- Arm waving sales and marketing planning
- Incomplete, investor-focused business planning
- Unbelievable, unrealistic, unachievable financial projections
- Illegal, incomplete offering documents and blue sky compliance
- Missing state and federal filings required by securities laws
- Boring pitch decks not properly focused on the investor and their ROI from a fair equity split valuation
- Missing exit plans that show investors how they get their return of capital
- Illegitimate or missing password protected investor website
- Missing or incomplete game plan for actually raising the investor funding
These dirty dozen mistakes are just some of the multitude of issues that can be turnoffs to prospective investors and kill your offering – and your company’s future.
My Funding Foreplay Service is specifically focused on a complete review, and fix if necessary, of the above dozen issues, and more, to make sure that everything for your fundraising is genuinely ready for prime time – before you pitch even the first prospective investor.
Note: My Funding Foreplay Service is not designed for one night stands. It is not designed to mislead investors in any way. It is designed to find the right investors for your company for a very long-term, mutually beneficial relationship – and get you successfully funded.
It’s a fact: When it comes to fundraising, there are absolutely no guarantees. If someone tells you they can guarantee that your fundraising will be successful, they are almost certainly lying to you.
Because of this, you do not want to waste even a single prospective investor opportunity by screwing up even one of the above issues.
You have got to get it right the first time and every time. This is not the time for A/B testing.
Shark Tank: It’s Embarrassing to Watch So Many Unprepared Startup CEOs
Stumble So Badly
My wife loves to watch Shark Tank. Absolutely loves it. For me, the show has gotten too hard to watch since so many startup company CEOs screw up their investment pitch so badly.
During the past two decades, I have worked with thousands of startup companies so I understand what it’s like to be an entrepreneur and put your whole heart and soul into your company – only to watch it crash and burn because you cannot successfully raise the funding to achieve your vision
I get that Shark Tank is Reality TV and that bumbling founders who look like buffoons probably increase ratings.
One thing the show does highlight: Most startup company CEOs are completely clueless and unprepared to pitch their investment opportunity for their company.
Here are my Top 10 Shark Tank Mistakes:
- They don’t know their numbers – or their implications;
- They don’t understand their own sales and marketing requirements and what it takes to actually close the sale and get wallet share;
- They don’t understand how to produce and market their own Minimum Viable Product (MVP) to gain traction;
- They don’t know how to create realistic, believable, achievable driving assumptions for their financial projections to have any credibility;
- They don’t understand the components of valuation or how much X% of the company has to be exchanged for the $Y needed;
- They are clueless as to the step by step actions required for genuine implementation – including all the Deviled Details of marketing, advertising, personnel and operating costs ;
- They don’t understand that a concept, by itself, that has not been executed is pretty much worth zero;
- They don’t understand, whatsoever, what it takes to properly pitch the deal so that it’s meaningful to prospective investors and motivates them to stroke the check;
- They don’t understand the legal constraints when it comes to fundraising and end up breaking the law by violating state and federal securities laws;
- They don’t know that sweeping generalities and stumbling, arm-waving answers to any or all of the above issues will only destroy any credibility they might have gained.
These are some of the very reasons that I offer my Funding Foreplay Service – so that my clients don’t embarrass themselves by making those same mistakes in front of their own prospects for their own fundraising.
If you’re honest with yourself, how many of the above issues are going to be critically pivotal problems for your fundraising?
The good news is that I help my clients be fully prepared for all of the above issues by teaching and implementing the right foreplay for the offering – before they start romancing their prospects.
The Courtship Ritual for Investors
You wouldn’t walk up to a complete stranger and ask them to marry you. You already know that there’s a courting process, a general sequence of events, a ritual, required even for love.
The same is true with prospective investors. Are you really going to ask prospective investors to marry you by investing in your company – even before the first kiss?
If you don’t learn the language of investor love, your first contact will probably never get their attention and you won’t even get to the first kiss – let alone the consummation of them stroking a check to invest in your company. All you will get is yet another rejection.
Startups almost always only get one chance with a prospective investor. The prospect expects to be approached and romanced in a certain way, with the right documentation and the right sequence of steps.
The fact is that many startup companies are frankly clueless when it comes to raising funds from investors. That part is not surprising. Most startup company CEOs are fundraising virgins.
Fundraising is both highly complex and complicated – and you have to do every step the right way to be successful.
(To understand some of the complex and complicated issues involved, please click on the “Startup Company Path to Success Infographic – The 53 Steps To Successful Funding of Your Startup Company” graphic to get your free copy of this helpful PDF.)
Even when the startup company has some understanding of the complicated process, they blow their chances with what few prospective investors they can find – by not romancing the prospect the right way for the startup company to have any credibility.
With my Funding Foreplay Service, I personally work with startup companies so that they learn the language of investor love and learn what they have to change so that they are genuinely ready for prime time.
All of this greatly increases my client’s chances for the successful romance and seduction of angel investors and VC to invest in their company.
How I Learned the Language of Investor Love
For the past 22 years, I have focused solely on helping startup and emerging companies with their business planning, funding foreplay, fundraising, implementation and mentoring of the CEO and other senior executives.
During that time, I’ve already directly helped THOUSANDS of diverse startup companies and their CEOs, in 49 of the 50 states, in nearly 4 dozen countries, on six of the seven continents and in more than 150 different industries.
Before that, I successfully raised over $25 million from more than 1,200 angel investors for my own real estate syndications and software company startup utilizing fully compliant Reg D private placement offerings that met all state and federal securities laws.
To find those 1,200 investors, I had to romance tens of thousands of additional prospective investors who said “No.”
On many of those pitches, I totally crashed and burned! Talk about rejection!
But I also learned from the burn – and I got smarter with each “Yes” AND each rejection.
During all that time I’ve learned a whole lot about investor expectations and what is required for a successful romance with prospective investors.
It’s all that experience – from all that romancing of investors who invested with me – and also from romancing the tens of thousands investors who did not invest – that helped me learn the language of investor love.
Additionally, I was Founder, CEO and Chairman of Goodman Securities, Inc., a direct participation broker-dealer and member of the National Association of Securities Dealers, Inc. (NASD) and the Securities Investor Protection Corp (SIPC).
As a result, as a non-attorney, I became keenly aware of state and federal laws and how they may impact your offering – and your romancing – and some of the business steps you may need to take to legally comply with these laws without getting tripped up by the near infinite technicalities of both the romance and seduction of potential investors.
All of that combined experience is what I share with my clients through my Funding Foreplay Service.
How the Funding Foreplay Process Works
I work with many of my clients on their Funding Foreplay to help make sure that they are fully prepared for both the romance of prospective investors for their deal – and the final seduction to motivate some of those prospective investors to stroke the investment check.
Hint: Funding Foreplay is absolutely required before you start romancing even your first prospective investor.
My Funding Foreplay Service usually includes some, or all, of the following:
- Starting with a quick two hour review and audit of your current company strategies, tactics, action plans, sales and marketing plan, business plans and offering documents.
- I help identify which of the above dirty dozen deficits, along with other issues, are potential problem areas for your offering.
- At this point, my clients can choose to fix the deficits themselves, have me fix some or all of them or have me oversee and manage the fixes.
- I sometimes help make sure my clients have well thought out strategies, tactics and action plans for implementation (this is a major item that is most often overlooked by entrepreneurs.)
- I sometimes work with clients to crystallize their sales and marketing plans so they are realistic, achievable and believable – and reflect the kind of growth investors expect to see.
- I sometimes work with clients so they can properly complete their business planning – including make sure that they have used realistic, achievable and believable driving assumptions for their financial projections.
- Sometimes, I help clients and their attorneys with their offering documents so that they comply with both state and federal securities laws – while still properly reflecting the sizzle parts of the business plan.
- Sometimes, I do all of the above – and more.
My goal is to make sure that all of these steps along with several other documents, and my client’s investment pitch, are correctly done with everything genuinely ready for “prime time.”
My services are available on an hourly basis for only as many hours as you need – for as little or as much as you need them.
I generally recommend we start with a two hour initial, cursory audit and consultation for $350 so that I can quickly drill down on your company and your current funding situation and documentation.
As part of this two hour audit, I will generate an initial action list of recommended fixes that I believe need to be done in order to greatly increase your chances of success of your offering.
Help for Your Fundraising Virginity
Ask yourself how much of your Funding Foreplay have you already completed the right way – and if your current offering is genuinely ready for prime time?
Ask yourself how many of those dirty dozen mistakes that were listed above are still problem areas for your company and your fundraising?
Ask yourself if your current offering could benefit from some of my Funding Foreplay Service
to help increase your probability of a success romance?
You know you have competitors for your new company.
But you need to understand that you also have funding competitors –other companies competing for the very limited attention, time and money from the same prospective investors.
This is your chance to rise above your investment competitors and have your Funding Foreplay done the right way with your documents written in the right language – the language of investor love.
So, what WILL it take to motivate investors to write YOU a check for your new company?
Find out with my Funding Foreplay Service.
Finally, you have a totally unique, very cost effective, one-of-a-kind solution to knowing what it takes for you to really be ready to romance, seduce and consummate the deal with investors..
With Funding Foreplay, you won’t be embarrassed by your fundraising virginity – you will be ready for all the questions that prospective lenders or investors may ask about you and your company.
Let’s Talk – 20 Minute Introductory Call
My focus is strictly on helping you be successful with your fundraising on a best efforts basis – and helping you avoid the embarrassing and almost always lethal failure that the vast majority of startups face when they try – and fail – to find enough investors for their company.
If you think that my Funding Foreplay Service might benefit you and your company, let’s start with a no cost, no sales pitch, no obligation, 20 minute telephone or Skype call totally focused on helping you with your most pressing questions, problems and opportunities regarding your own company and its fundraising.
If that sounds good, please click Phone Robert and give me two or three times that work for you this week. Hopefully, we can find a mutually workable time to set up a call in the next few days.
All the best,
Robert Lee Goodman, MBA
Ceo & Chief ImpleMentor
Ceo Resource LLC
Elevator Pitch: “I Help Startups Start and Stay Started.”
PPS: Once the foreplay is over, I can also help you with your fundraising. Check out the details by clicking Fundraising Service.